Sunday 22 July 2012

Chai Latte Cupcakes, Mmmm... So delicious!


updates at Gobsmackedcakes.com

Mmmm... So delicious! These Chai Latte cupcakes are the perfect 'adult cupcake'. If you would like to try something different to chocolate, or vanilla cupcakes. Give these a try!

The recipe is from; VEGAN CUPCAKES - take over the world! by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. The recipes in this book are divine! 
(I have no affiliation, they really are just great recipes).

I am not vegan so I don't have a lot of the ingredients in my house, so I will substitute them with dairy products. ie, I will substitute soy milk or rice milk with cows milk. They taste great both ways.

Icing Recipe

I have never done any piping and I want to learn! I thought I would start with a simple swirl on top of the cupcakes. The chai latte cupcake recipe in the book doesn't have an icing that can be piped, so I made my own, that I think goes really well with the cupcakes. It pipes well too!

Here is my recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 tea bag (black tea)
  • 5 tblsp all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of butter (cut into cubes and loosely packed) 
  • 2/3 cup of icing sugar (not icing mixture)
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamon 

Method

Warm the milk in a saucepan until nearly boiling. Place the teabag in the hot milk, remove from heat and cover. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Squeeze the teabag to remove the milk. Measure again, and add milk if less than 1 cup.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon and flour into the milk. Whisk together, until smooth. Return to medium heat and keep whisking until it gets really thick. Remove from heat, and place in the fridge to cool completely.
With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add cooled flour/milk mixture, vanilla, and cocoa. Mix on medium to high until it looks like whipped cream.
It is now ready to pipe.

This recipe is not super sweet. I found it suited the cupcakes really well, but if you like your sugar, you can certainly add more to your taste.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment